- Use a fork to beat together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a medium bowl until blended but not foamy.
- Melt the butter over medium-high heat in a medium non-stick skillet.
- Swirl the butter around in the pan until it stops foaming.
- Pour in the eggs and reduce the heat to medium.
- As the mixture sets, lift the edges of the egg with a spatula and tilt the skillet so uncooked egg flows underneath. Do not stir.
- Continue cooking until the omelet is moist but not runny, about 3 minutes.
- If making a filled omelet, top it with your choice of filling.
- Use a large spatula to loosen the edge of the omelet and fold it in half.
- Slide it onto a plate, top with a few spoonfuls of salsa, if using, and serve.