1 1/2 cups
1 1/2 cups
1 1/2 ounces
- Mix sourdough starter, warm water, and flour in a bowl. Cover and let sit overnight; the mixture should look bubbly and "spongy" in the morning.
- Add sugar, salt and additional flour. Mix well.
- Knead on a floured surface for 10 minutes, adding additional flour as needed. The dough should be firm. Place dough in a greased bowl, cover, and let rise until double (sour dough takes longer to rise than traditional yeast breads).
- After punching down, divide dough into 12 balls. Make a hole in the middle of each ball with your thumb, and shape into a bagel shape, with a 2" hole in the middle.
- Meanwhile, bring 2 quarts of water to boil on your stove-top. Drop 2 or 3 bagels at a time into the water; boil for 30 seconds, flip bagels over, and boil for an additional 30 seconds. Drain with slotted spoon and place on baking sheet.
- Brush tops with egg white and add additional toppings if desired (poppy seeds, dried onions, etc.).
- Bake at 350 for 35 minutes, turning once for even browning. Bagels are done when they are golden and shiny.