1 (1/4 ounce) package
2 1/2 cups
( golden raisins)
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk to simmering and remove from heat.
- Mix in the butter and stir until melted, and then let cool until lukewarm.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, yeast and salt.
- Stir lukewarm milk into the flour mixture until soft dough is formed.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead in sultanas and shape into a large round loaf.
- Place the loaf on a lightly greased baking sheet, cover with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a small bowl, beat together egg yolk and water.
- Brush risen loaf with egg yolk mixture, and bake until loaf is golden and bottom sounds hollow when tapped, about 40 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.