1 1/2 cups
2 1/4 teaspoons
( Red Star)
( Earth Balance)
4 -5 cups
unbleached white flour
- Add the warm water to your mixing bowl and stir in the sugar until most of it is dissolved. Gently stir in the yeast. Wait 5 minutes for the yeast to become active. You should see some yeast and bubble floating to the top.
- Mix in the cup of spelt flour. Add the egg replacer and melted Earth Balance Buttery Spread. At this point and mix thoroughly.
- I used the paddle on my mix master and that did a great job mixing the ingredients.
- Stir in the salt and optional soya milk powder.
- Slowly mix in the rest of the spelt and unbleached flours. When it forms a ball that just barely sticks to the bowl, then it is time to start kneading.
- Either turn it out onto a floured board or switch to a dough hook in your mixer, and knead for 6 minutes. Let it rest for a few minutes while you oil the rising bowl, then knead for 6 more minutes.
- Put the dough ball in the rising bowl and roll it around so that it is coated with the oil. Cover the bowl with a damp towel or plastic wrap, and let rise for about 2 hours or until doubled.
- Punch down the dough and gently knead out any large bubbles. Cover and let rise for about half as long as the first time.
- Oil your cake pan. Pull off pieces of dough a little bigger than a golf ball and roll them in your hand to form round top.
- Place them side by side in your pan. I tend to make 4 rows of 4 rolls in an 8x8 pan and 5 rows of 5 slightly smaller rolls in a 9x9 pan. Cover and let rise for an hour.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F Bake for 26 to 30 minutes.