olive oil, divided
1 1/4 lbs
chicken breast tenders
balsamic vinegar, divided
red bell peppers, cut into strips
( about 2 medium)
onions, vertically sliced
( about 1 large)
( 2 8oz loaves)
provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt over chicken.
- Add chicken to pan; cook 1 minute on each side or until lightly browned.
- Add 1/4 cup vinegar; cook 2 minutes or until chicken is done and vinegar is syrupy.
- Remove chicken mixture from the pan; cover and keep warm.
- Wipe pan clean with a paper towel.
- Return pan to medium-high heat; add remaining 2 teaspoons oil.
- Add bell pepper and onion; sauté 7 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 cup vinegar; cook 1 minute or until vinegar is syrupy.
- Cut foccaccia loaves in half horizontally.
- Arrange chicken mixture evenly over bottom halves of bread; top with bell pepper mixture.
- Arrange cheese over pepper mixture, and sprinkle with black pepper.
- Top with top halves of bread.
- Place a cast-iron or heavy skillet on top of sandwiches; let stand 5 minutes.
- Cut each sandwich into 6 wedges.