1 1/2 lbs
boneless skinless chicken breasts
extra virgin olive oil
fennel bulb, sliced lengthwise and cut into strips
1 1/2 cups
dry white wine
( such as pinot grigio)
- Zest lemon and slice zest into matchstick. Juice lemon, strain and set aside.
- Lightly salt chicken breasts. Put a deep frying pan over medium high heat, pour in oil and saute chicken, about 3 minutes on each side until they are half ay done. Cooking time really depends on the thickness of the pieces you use.
- Discard oil, then add lemon zest, fennel, and wine to pan. Bring to boil over high heat and let cook until the wine reduces by about half and fennel is tender. Add broth and cinnamon, bring to boil and cook about 5 minutes to reduce the sauce a little bit.
- Add chicken and let simmer for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- In the mean time, in a small bowl, beat egg yolks with half of the lemon juice, then ladle in about 1/4 cup of the sauce and mix well. Add the mixture to pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring a little bit until sauce is creamy. Taste for seasoning, and add more lemon juice if you like.
- You can serve this dish stand alone. I served it with spagetti drizzle with a bit of olive oil.