1 1/2 cups
hazelnuts, toasted, husked
unsweetened cocoa powder
unsalted butter, soft
1 1/2 teaspoons
semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line heavy large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Grind 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts in processor. Set aside.
- Whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in large bowl, set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in another large bowl to blend. Add eggs and vanilla and almond extracts and beat until well blended.
- Add flour mixture, mix well.
- Mix in 1 cup whole toasted hazelnuts, chocolate chips and 1/2 cup ground hazelnuts.
- Divide dough into 2 equal pieces.
- Shape each piece on baking sheet into 2 1/2-inch-wide by 14-inch-long log. Place logs on prepared baking sheet, spacing 2 1/2 inches apart (logs will spread during baking).
- Bake until logs feel firm when tops are gently pressed, about 35 minutes. Cool logs on baking sheet 15 minutes.
- Maintain oven temperature.
- Using long wide spatula, transfer baked logs to cutting board.
- Using serrated knife, cut warm logs crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- Arrange slices, cut side down, on 2 baking sheets. Bake biscotti until firm, about 15 minutes. Transfer to racks and cool completely.
- (Chocolate-Hazelnut Biscotti can be prepared ahead. Store in airtight container up to 4 days, or wrap in foil and freeze in resealable plastic bags up to 3 weeks.).