2 1/2 cups
1 (1 3/4 ounce) packages
- For fireweed juice: Harvest about 8 packed cups of fireweed flowers. Rinse thoroughly and put in 2 quart pot. Add just enough water to make water level just below top of packed flowers. (Juice should be a deep purple color when finished. If too much water is used in boiling process, juice will be a brownish color. More water can always be added after flowers are boiled to increase amount of juice.) Boil flowers in water until color is boiled out and petals are a grayish color. Ladle juice into jar through cheesecloth to strain.
- Warm fireweed juice, lemon juice and butter on stovetop.
- Add Sure-Jell, bring to boil and boil hard for one minute.
- Add sugar and bring to full boil for one minute. Skim top of jelly.
- Pour into pitcher(makes it easier to fill jars)and skim again.
- Fill sterilized jars leaving 1/8 inch space at top. Process in hot water bath for 10 minutes.