( not quick-cooking oats)
cool unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
packed light brown sugar
very ripe banana, mashed
( about 1/2 cup)
( bittersweet or semisweet)
- Position rack in center of oven; preheat oven to 350°.
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, oats, baking soda, and salt until combined; set aside.
- Grease a baking sheet with butter; set aside.
- In a big bowl, beat the butter and shortening, using an electric mixer on medium speed, until softened and of a uniform color, about 1 minute.
- Beat in both sugars until fluffy but still a little grainy, about 1 minute.
- Beat in the mashed banana and vanilla; remove beaters.
- Stir in flour mixture using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until a soft, wet dough forms.
- Stir in chocolate chips, just until evenly distributed.
- Drop high, rounded teaspoonfuls of the dough onto prepared sheet, spacing mounds about 1 ½ inches apart.
- Bake for about 12 minutes, until bumpy and lightly browned.
- For best results, rotate the baking sheet back to front halfway through the baking process.
- Cool cookies for 2 minutes on baking sheet; transfer cookies to wire rack to cool completely.
- Cool the baking sheet for 5 minutes before making additional cookies.
- *Banana Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies—decrease the chocolate chips to 1 ½ cups; stir in 1 ½ cups dried cherries with the chips; proceed as directed.
- *Banana Macadamia White Chocolate Chip Cookies—substitute 1 ½ cups chopped unsalted macadamia nuts and 1 ½ cups white chocolate chips for the chocolate chips; proceed as directed.
- *Banana Nut Chocolate Chip Cookies—decrease chocolate chips to 1 ½ cups; add 1 ½ cups chopped walnuts or pecans with the chips; proceed as directed.
- *Banana White Chocolate Chip Cookies—substitute 3 cups white chocolate chips for the chocolate chips; proceed as directed.
- *Tropical Chocolate Chip Cookies—substitute rum extract for the vanilla extract; decrease the chocolate chips to 1 ½ cups; add 1 cup chopped dried pineapple and ½ cup sweetened shredded coconut with the chips; proceed as directed.