( prepared weight)
onion, finely chopped
vegetable stock cube
salt & pepper
- Wash thoroughly the broccoli. You will need 600G so remove the stems and just use the heads.
- Chop the onion.
- In a saucepan cook the broccoli and onion together with the stock cube and the water for 15 minutes Keep the lid on whilst you do this. (you can get this cooking time down to 10 mins if you chop the broccoli quite small).
- When the broccoli and onion are very tender add the low fat milk.
- Then blend the soup thoroughly using a blender. I sometimes do this immediately but, from a safety point of view, its probably best to let the soup cool then re-heat.
- You will be surprized how creamy this soup is, even using only low fat milk, check seasoning and serve.
- Serve the soup however you like -- we like it with toasted almonds on top, it is also good with grated cheese piled on the top. Another good combination is a large teaspoon of cream cheese dropped into the centre and some chives. Last time I served it to guests I sprinkled stilton cheese and croutons over the hot soup and it was enjoyed by all.
- However you serve it, for extremely basic ingredients, it makes a tasty affordable soup.