2 (32 ounce) kitchen basics chicken stock (don't substitute with broth) or 2 quarts
homemade chicken stock
( don't substitute with broth)
onion white, diced fine
3 -4 large
russet potatoes, peeled and diced
sweet Italian sausage
garlic cloves, minced
1 bunch swiss chard or 1 bunch
kale, cut into bite size pieces
2/3 cup cream or 2/3 cup
salt, depending on taste
red pepper flakes
- Bring chicken stock and water to a light boil and add potatoes.
- In a skillet (preferably cast iron or enameled cast iron) cook bacon until somewhat done and remove (but do not add bacon to the soup, save for a BLT or something).
- Sauté the onion in the bacon rendering until almost caramelized (golden color).
- Remove and put in boiling stock.
- In the same skillet add olive oil and cook Italian sausage (with casings removed).
- Add garlic with the sausage and cook until sausage is done and the consistency of ground hamburger meat.
- Add mixture to the stock.
- By this time check to see if potatoes are cooked by trying to squish them on the side of the stock pot.
- When they are done reduce heat and add cream and Swiss chard, salt, anise, red pepper, black pepper.
- Serve with garlic bread or corn bread (or even better an herbed Parmesan corn bread).