1 (5 -7 lb)
1 1/2-2 cups
- Mix the paprika, garlic powder, brown sugar, dry mustard, and salt together in a small bowl.
- Rub the spice blend all over the pork.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or up to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 300ºF.
- Put the pork in a roasting pan and roast for about 6-7 hours. An instant read thermometer stuck into the thickest part of the pork should register 170ºF, but basically, what you want to do is roast it until it's falling apart.
- When the pork is done, take it out of the oven and put it on a large platter.
- Allow the meat to rest for about 10 minute.
- While it is resting, deglaze the pan over medium heat with 3/4 cup water, scraping with a wooden spoon to puck up all the browned bits.
- Reduce this by half.
- While the "pork juices" are reducing, place your favorite BBQ sauce in a saucepan and heat gently.
- When the "pork juices" have reduced pour them into the saucepan with the BBQ sauce and stir well to combine.
- Put the shredded pork in a bowl and pour half of the sauce over.
- Stir is all up well so that the pork is coated with the sauce.
- Serve on hamburger buns.