1 (2721.55 g)
beef brisket, whole, outer fat trimmed
onions, halved lenghtwise, thinly sliced into half moons
apple cider, as needed
garlic cloves, thinly sliced
7.39 ml dried rosemary or 14.79 ml
7.39 ml dried thyme or 14.79 ml
fresh ground black pepper
- Position rack in the center of the oven and heat to 325 dgrees F.
- heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or small roasting pan over medium-high heat. Add the brisket and cook, turning once until browned on both sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the onions to the same pot and cook, stirring occasionally, just until softened, about 5 minutes. Place the brisket on top of the onions, add the cider and molasses and sprinkle with the garlic and herbs. If necessary, add more cider (or even water) to almost cover the brisket. Bring to a simmer then cover tightly and place in the oven and bake for 3 hours or until fork tender.
- Uncover and let the brisket cool in the pot. Cover and refrigerate until the next day.
- Scrape off and discard any hardened fat on the surface of the cooking liquid. Transfer meat to a carving board and slice thinly against the grain.
- Meanwhile, bring the cooking liquid to a boil over high heat. Taste and if the flavor needs concentrating, simmer for a few minutes to evaporate excess liquid. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Return the sliced brisket to the liquid , reduce the heat to medium-low; simmer until heated through. Serve hot with the onions.