( to fill bowls)
3/4 lb chicken breasts or 3/4 lb
( I used green onions instead)
nori sushi sheet
( to garnish)
1 3/4 cups
- Soak mushrooms in water ahead of time.
- Slice chicken into thin pieces.
- Wash watercress throughly, cut to 1 1/2 inches pieces.
- Beat eggs well in a container. When serving in individual bowls, separate eggs into four portions.
- After mushrooms have softened, remove stems and cut into small pieces. (I used a packaged of dried Shiataki mushrooms found in the Oriental section of my grocery store).
- PREPARING THE BROTH AND COOKING:.
- Quickly boil all broth ingredients together.
- Remove from heat.
- Add chicken, mushrooms, green onions/watercress and let boil.
- Immediately lower heat and remove scum that may have surfaced to the top of the broth.
- Cook for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Slowly and gently pour the beaten egg mixture.
- from about 8 - 10 inches above the broth so that the egg cooks into a stringy consistency.
- Fill the donburi bowls with 2/3 full with hot rice.
- Gently ladle broth mixture over rice.
- Garnish with slivers of nori. (I used my kitchen shears to strip it up).
- Serve hot.