coarsely cracked black pepper
garlic cloves, minced
red wine, as needed
chopped green onions
- Combine black pepper and sesame seeds in bowl.
- Press tuna steaks into mixture, until coated.
- Heat sesame oil over medium-high heat.
- Add tuna steaks and sear about 1- 1 1/2 minutes each side (I like mine rare in the center, longer if you prefer well-cooked tuna).
- Transfer steaks to tented aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Add a touch more oil to pan, then add soy sauce and sherry.
- Add garlic and most of green onion (reserving some of the tops).
- If too much has boiled off, add a bit of red wine if necessary.
- Reduce heat and simmer until mixture is slightly reduced, scraping up any brown bits, about 1 minute.
- Spoon sauce over tuna steaks, and sprinkle remaining green onion on top.
- Note: if you want to make more of this sauce, it tastes fantastic, and goes great with rices, potatoes, roasted veggies, etc.
- In the photo, I cross-cut Italian bread, drizzled with olive oil and briefly toasted.