onion, finely diced
celery, finely diced
carrots, finely diced
diced cooked beef
beef bouillon cubes
chicken bouillon cubes
salt and pepper
- Combine barley, salt and 4 cups boiling water in a pot and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer covered for 30 - 40 minutes until barley is tender.
- Drain and rinse under cold water till cool.
- Set aside.
- In a large pot, heat margarine and sauté vegetables until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add beef, 10 cups of water, bouillon cubes pepper and garlic.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer covered for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add barley and simmer 10 minutes longer.