boneless rib-eye steak
( 1 1/2-inch thick)
smoked sweet paprika
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (if using kosher meat) or 1/2 teaspoon
( if you're using non-kosher meat)
fresh ground black pepper
- Bring the steak to room temperature.
- Mix all spices and oil into a thick paste. Rub spice rub mixture onto both sides of the steak.
- Optional: If you have the time, wrap the steak with plastic wrap and allow to sit for 15 minutes or longer at room temperature.
- Put a 10 to 12-inch cast iron skillet in the oven, and heat oven to 500 degrees. When the oven thermometer indicates that it has reached 500 degrees, remove the pan from the oven (do not turn oven off). Transfer quickly to a stovetop burner on high heat.
- Immediately place the steak in the middle of the pan. Cook for 30 seconds without moving. Flip with tongs and cook for 30 seconds on the second side. Quickly remove the pan from the heat and place into the oven. Cook for two minutes on each side for a medium rare steak, or three minutes on each side for a medium steak.
- Transfer steak to a wooden cutting board and make a loose tent of aluminum foil over it. Allow it to rest for a few minutes before serving.