2 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth or 2 1/2 cups
low sodium chicken broth
butternut squash, diced into small pieces
1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped or 1/2 teaspoon
( the shaker kind is fine)
fresh parsley, chopped
salt and pepper
- In a small saucepan, bring the broth to a boil. Cover, and reduce heat to low.
- Heat oil in a medium sized pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté until tender.
- Add squash and sauté for another 3 minutes. Add barley and stir for 2 more minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of the boiled broth, and chopped sage. Simmer, stirring often until broth is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining broth slowly, about 1/3 cup at a time, allowing it to be absorbed each time.
- Cook barley until tender but still firm, about 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in parmesan cheese and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.