2 1/2 cups
1 1/2 teaspoons
fresh ginger, chopped
- In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the molasses.
- Mix the water and baking soda and stir.
- Sift together the flour, salt, and dry spices; add gradually to the sugar-margarine mixture.
- Gradually stir the sifted ingredients, along with the ginger and raisins, into the molasses mixture.
- Shape dough into walnut sized balls, and roll them in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- (The dough may be too soft to handle at this point- I suggest either adding a bit of flour, or refrigerating for 20 minutes[or even overnight]).
- Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet, and flatten slightly.
- Bake at 350°F for 10-12 minutes.