1 loaf unsliced egg bread, such as challah or 1 loaf
other firm bread
1 1/4 cups
pitted tart red cherries, drained
( canned or frozen)
6 ounces cream cheese or 6 ounces
mascarpone cheese, softened
sifted powdered sugar
1 -2 tablespoon butter or 1 -2 tablespoon
chopped pecans, toasted
2 tablespoons butter (optional) or 2 tablespoons
( a few)
apple, sliced into thin wedges
- FRENCH TOAST:.
- Trim ends from the loaf of bread and cut the bread into six 1-1/2" thick slices.
- To make a pocket in each slice, beginning at the top, cut lengthwise in half to within 1" of the bottom.
- Set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat 3/4 cup of cherries, cream cheese or mascarpone, whipping cream and 2 tablespoons powdered sugar.
- If you like, with an electric mixer until well combined.
- Spread about 1/4 cup of the mixture into pocket of each slice of bread.
- Gently press pieces of bread together, distributing filling evenly inside pocket.
- Combine eggs, cinnamon and vanilla in a shallow dish.
- Dip bread into egg mixture to coat all sides.
- On a griddle or in a skillet, cook bread in hot butter or margarine over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Add more butter or margarine, if needed.
- Remove from heat and cut French toast in half diagonally, forming two triangles.
- Place three triangles for each serving on warm plates.
- Sprinkle with additional powdered sugar and remaining cherries.
- MAPLE-PECAN SYRUP:.
- Melt butter or margarine, add nuts; brown lightly: remove nuts.
- Add maple syrup, honey, cinnamon and salt to butter in saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in pecans and cinnamon.
- Let cool; mixture will thicken as it cools.
- Serve the french toast with warm syrup and slices of apple on to, or with powdered sugar.
- *If you choose you can sub any kind of fruit.