COOKIES (use 1 recipe buttercream frosting)
1 (12 ounce) boxes
( Nabisco Nilla original size)
1 (10 ounce) packages
( Keebler Fudge Shoppe Grasshopper, chocolate covered mint cookies)
sweetened flaked coconut
toasted sesame seeds
egg white, slightly beaten with water
( 1 stick, softened)
2 1/2 cups
2 -3 tablespoons half-and-half or 2 -3 tablespoons cream or 2 -3 tablespoons
( green, red*, yellow)
- FROSTING: Combine butter, vanilla, sugar, salt, and half-and-half in an electric mixer.
- Add enough milk to get to a fairly thin consistency for frosting.
- Divide into 3 separate bowls; one holding ½ of the frosting, the other two containing ~1/4 each.
- Color ½ of the frosting orange to simulate cheese, using red and yellow food coloring. (Use real items to match colors).
- Color ¼ of the frosting bright yellow to simulate mustard, and the last, red, to simulate ketchup. (Red will take a LOT of liquid food coloring to get past “pink.” You can buy gel-based “super red”at any cake decorating supply store).
- Place each batch of frosting into a plastic baggie.
- Remove air, close, and snip a tiny bit off of one of the bottom corners.
- COOKIES: Preheat oven to 325º. Toast sesame seeds lightly in a small sauté pan. Cool.
- Brush ½ of the Nilla wafers tops with egg wash.
- Place on baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds.
- Pop into the oven for ~5 minutes to gently cook the egg white, so that the cookies don’t need to be refrigerated.
- While these are cooking, with a rasp, lightly shave the curved tops of the remaining Nilla wafers, so that they can sit flat on a plate (optional, but makes life easier later).
- Place ½ of the coconut into a plastic zip-lock bag.
- Add several drops of green food coloring and squish the bag around until the coconut resembles lettuce.
- Place the shaved Nilla wafer “bun bottom” with the natural flat side up.
- Dab 4 drops of frosting “ketchup” around the edge. Dab 4 drops of frosting “mustard” in the remaining spaces on the edge.
- Sprinkle green “lettuce” coconut.
- Place the mint cookie “hamburger patty” on top and gently press down slightly.
- Squeeze a GOOD dollop of orange “cheese” frosting on top of the cookie.
- Sprinkle remaining white “onion” coconut on top.
- Place the sesame-coated “top bun” Nilla wafer on top, and gently press down.
- Serve with toasted slivered almonds, resembling French fries!
- *It takes a LOT of liquid red food coloring to get past “pink.” Try using “super red” gel-based red pigment, found at any local cake decorating supply store.