butter, cut into pieces
active dry yeast
( 105 - 115)
eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons
6 -6 1/2 cups
- In a large bowl, pour milk over ½ cup butter. Stir occasionally until butter is melted.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle yeast and ¼ t. sugar over water. Let stand 5 minutes or until foamy. Stir remaining sugar, eggs, salt and yeast mixture into milk mixture. Stir in 4 cups of the flour and beat until smooth. Gradually stir in remaining flour to make soft dough. Cover, let rest for 10 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead for 8-10 minutes or until no longer sticky, adding as little extra flour as possible. Divide dough in half. Place half of dough into a greased bowl. Turn to coat surface. Cover and refrigerate. Shape remaining dough into 12 2-inch balls. Place on a greased 9 x 1 ½ inch round pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, until almost doubled- about 55 minutes.
- Bake in pre-heated 375° oven for 25-30 minutes or until browned. Brush with butter. Cool on a wire rack.
- To bake refrigerated dough: follow shaping, rising and baking instructions, allowing about 1 hour and 45 minutes for rising.