maraschino cherries, with stems
Hershey chocolate kisses
red decorating gel
semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Drain cherries well and count them.
- Unwrap an equal amount of chocolate kisses and carefully remove one side of the chocolate cookie from the Oreo, leaving the cream filling on the other side. (Save plain side for another use.).
- Melt the chocolate chips and shortening in the microwave and stir till smooth.
- Dip the cherries in the chocolate, shake to remove excess.
- Set the cherry on the flat side of chocolate kiss, and then position them on cream side of the Oreo with the stem hanging over the edge.
- Position 2 sliced almonds for ears.
- Use red gel for eyes.
- Keep the chocolate warm by setting it in a bowl of warm water.
- Line cookie sheet with wax paper to set the mice on as you put them together. When you get them all done, let them set for a few minutes before decorating.
- To make holly leaves - draw a "v" on each side of the red berry.
- For the leftover melted chocolate and plain half of Oreos. Dip each Oreo in chocolate and either sprinkle coconut or chopped nuts on them.
- NOTE: You could use cherries without stems and substitute chow mein noodles for the tail.