1 (12 ounce) bottles
beer, allowed to go flat
garlic cloves, halved
fresh parsley sprigs
fresh ground black pepper
steamer clams, in the shell well scrubbed
melted butter, for dipping
- In a big saucepan, combine the beer, broth, garlic, bay leaf, parsley, and salt/pepper.
- Bring to a boil; decrease heat to medium; simmer 5 minutes to blend flavors.
- Add clams; cover and simmer 4-5 minutes until clam shells open.
- Remove bay leaf and discard; remove any clams that did not open and discard.
- Place clams in 4 large individual bowls and ladle some of the liquid from the saucepan over the clams.
- Serve with individual bowls of melted butter for dipping; serve immediately.