For the cookies
6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons
grated lemon zest
For the icing
1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon
sifted confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl beat sugar, vanilla, lemon peel and 6 tablespoons
- of butter with an electric mixer until well blended. Add eggs one
- at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue to beat for
- 1 minute.
- Stir in flour and baking powder (will be a soft, sticky dough).
- Spoon dough into a pastry bag fitted with a 3/8-inch round tip.
- Pipe 2-inch diameter rings onto the parchment paper.
- Wet your fingertips and press ends of each ring together to form
- a smooth ring. Bake about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- To make icing: Melt 1 tablespoon of butter over low heat. Add
- sugar, water, lemon juice and vanilla and whisk until sugar melts
- and mixture is heated through. If icing is too thick to brush easily,
- add more water to thin. Remove cookies from oven and immediately
- brush warm icing over hot cookies. Cool iced cookies on sheet for
- 2 minutes. Transfer to a rack and cool completely.