egg whites, room temperature
cream of tartar
1 1/2 teaspoons
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Line non-stick baking sheets with parchment paper or use the Silpat sheets to prevent the cookies from sticking.
- In a small bowl, combine the 1/4 cup cocoa and sugar together; set aside.
- In a large bowl using your electric mixer, beat egg whites until foamy.
- While beating, add salt, cream of tartar, and vanilla extract.
- Add the cocoa/sugar mixture, 1 tablespoons at a time, until the egg whites are stiff and glossy.
- Drop batter by tablespoonfuls onto non-stick baking sheets.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1 teaspoon cocoa and cinnamon.
- Using a sieve or a sifter, sprinkle mixture over the non-baked cookies.
- Bake 90 minutes; turn off the oven, open the door slightly (secure with a wooden spoon), and allow cookies to cool in the oven.
- Remove from oven and store in a tightly covered (airtight) container.