brown sugar, packed
1 (6 ounce) cans
sweetened condensed milk
bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Line a 9 x 13 metal cake pan with parchment or wax paper leaving about a inch over hang on each side for handles, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl combine the oatmeal, flour and sugar.
- In a separate dish whisk the melted butter with the egg, then stir into oatmeal mixture until moistened.
- Press mixture into the prepared pan and bake of 12 - 15 minutes.
- Let cool on a rack.
- In a sauce pan melt together butter, sugar, condensed milk and corn syrup, over medium heat, stirring.
- Simmer stirring constantly until a candy thermometer reaches 230°F (thread stage) about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Pour the toffee over the base crust and refrigerate for an hour(should be firm to touch).
- GANACHE TOPPING:.
- Place chocolate in a bowl.
- In microwave or on the stove bring the cream to a boil.
- Pour over chocolate whisking until it is smooth.
- Let the chocolate mixture cool to room temperature and then pour over the toffee layer.
- Refrigerate until set ( about 1 hour).
- ***(If you are making this ahead you can cover this now and leave in the fridge for a week or over wrap with foil and freeze for up to 2 weeks.).
- Once set use the paper handles to remove the bar to a cutting board.
- Peel the paper from the sides.
- Wiping knife between cuts, trim the edges and cut into 1 inch squares.