( 1 1/2 lb/700g)
white poppy seeds, ground
( 2 oz/50g)
( 2.5 ml)
red chili powder
( cayenne pepper)
fresh hot green chili peppers
- Grind poppy seeds as finely as possible in a clean coffee grinder or other spice grinder.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them in 3/4 inch dice.
- Heat the oil in a non stick frying pan over a medium heat. When hot, put in the potatoes. Stir and fry the potatoes so they are very lightly browned—just golden—and only half cooked. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Put the 3 whole red chillies in the same oil. As soon as they start to darken, put in the ground poppy seeds and 2 Tbs. of water. Stir and sauté this past until it turns a medium brown colour.
- Now put in the potatoes, about 3/4 cup of water, the turmeric, red chilli powder (cayenne pepper), salt and green chillies. Stir to mix and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until the potatoes are done and most of the water is absorbed.
- Note: the whole chillies should only be eaten by those who know that they are doing.
- A Taste of India Madhur Jaffrey.