coarsely chopped natural whole almond
packed light brown sugar, divided
all-purpose flour, plus
1 1/2 lbs
granny smith apples, quartered, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
( about 4 c.)
8 ounces dried calimyrna figs or 8 ounces
dried black figs, stems trimmed, finely chopped
diced crystallized ginger
quick-cooking rolled oats
( do not use instant)
unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, at room temperature
vanilla ice cream or vanilla frozen yogurt or
- Preheat oven to 350°; lightly butter a shallow 13x9 inch baking dish or a deep pie plate; set aside.
- Spread the almonds in an ungreased baking pan; bake until lightly toasted, 8-10 minutes; let cool.
- Combine ¼ cup brown sugar and 2 tablespoons flour in a big bowl; add in the apples, figs, and crystallized ginger; toss to combine.
- Spread the mixture in the prepared baking dish.
- Combine the oats, remaining ½ cup brown sugar, the remaining 1/3 cup flour, ground ginger, and salt in a big bowl; stir to combine.
- Add in the butter; work it into the mixture using a pastry blender until the mixture is crumbly; sprinkle the oatmeal mixture evenly over the apple mixture.
- Bake 45-55 minutes until the crumbs are well browned and the apples are tender.
- Serve lukewarm or at room temperature, with a scoop of ice cream.