Pumpkin ice cream
brown sugar, packed
vanilla ice cream, softened
GINGER SUGAR RECIPE Divide for cake and syrup below
candied ginger, chopped
cake flour, SIFTED
eggs, room temperature
cream of tartar
butterscotch caramel liqueur
- Line a 16-INCH BY 11-INCH jelly roll-pan with a silicone pad or wax paper greased and floured. With rack in lower third of oven, heat oven to 450°F degrees.
- Ginger sugar:.
- In a food processor pulse sugar and ginger till fine. Divide into 1/2 cup for yolks and 1 tablespoon for egg whites and 1/4 cup for syrup.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cake flour and cornstarch.
- Separate 3 of the eggs, placing the yolks in 1 large mixing bowl and the whites in another. To the yolks, 2 remaining eggs add ½ cup ginger sugar. Beat on high speed 5 minutes or until thick, fluffy, and triple in volume. Beat in the vanilla.
- Sift ½ the flour mixture over the egg mixture and fold it in gently but rapidly with a large, or rubber spatula until the flour has disappeared. Repeat with the remaining flour mixture.
- Beat the egg whites until foamy, add the cream of tartar, and beat until soft peaks form when the beater is raised. Beat in the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and beat until stiff peaks form when the beater is raised slowly. Fold the whites into the batter and pour into the prepared pan, using an angled metal spatula to level it.
- Bake for 6 minutes or until golden brown, a cake tester comes out clean, and the cake is springy to the touch.
- Loosen the edges with a small metal spatula or sharp knife and, lifting by a long edge of the silicone pad or parchment overhang, gently slide the cake from the pan onto a flat surface. Trim any rough or overcooked edges. Roll it up while still hot. Using parchment, flip the biscuit onto a clean dish towel dusted with powdered sugar, carefully remove the parchment, and roll it up tightly, towel and all. Cool on a rack for at least 30 minutes. Meanwhile make.
- Optional SYRUP:.
- In a small saucepan with a tight-fitting lid bring the sugar and water to a rolling boil, stirring constantly. Cover immediately, remove from the heat, and cool. Transfer to a liquid measuring cup and stir in the liqueur.
- Pumpkin ice cream:.
- Combine pumpkin, brown sugar, and spices with a rotary beater.
- Blend in ice cream. Freeze until spreadable but firm.
- When ready to fill, unroll the biscuit. Remove towel and sprinkle with syrup. Then spread with ice cream.
- Beginning at long side, roll up cake. Carefully slide cake onto baking sheet, seam side down. Freeze while making whipped topping.
- Whipped cream topping:.
- Whip whipping cream with sugar until soft peaks form add vanilla and whip to mix inches.
- Spread sweetened whipped cream over cake to frost it. Freeze for an hour then cover with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and freeze. When ready to serve, remove from freezer, remove wrap and serve.