chopped mixed nuts
self raising flour
3/8 pint milk (mixed together) or 3/8 pint
( mixed together)
brandy, for soaking fruit
- Weigh out all fruit and leave to soak in the brandy overnight.
- Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add eggs and flour and mix in milk and brandy until combined.
- Stir in fruit and nuts, at this point I have been known to mix with a pair of very clean hands to ensure that all the fruit is mixed into the cake mixture.
- Place mixture into a greased and lined 10" tin, protect with brown paper -- see note!
- Bake in a slow oven 150°C 300°F Gas mark 2 for 5 1/2 hours or until a skewer can be pulled out of the centre of the cake clean.
- Note: Protect a large cake by fastening a band of brown paper round the tin 2-3" higher than the tin, and cover the top of the cake with greaseproof paper after 3 hours.
- The preparation time is a guess as this is not a job to be rushed, especially if you take on board a brandy or two while mixing it! Don't forget to make a wish while stirring it -- this has become a family tradition in my house!
- Servings: Another guess as it depends on how big your slices are ;-).