mean chef's sweet tart crust
3 1/2-4 cups
( Empire, Jonsgold, etc.)
2 1/2 tablespoons
Sauteed Apples (Optional)
- Follow directions for Mean Chef's Sweet tart Dough. When done shape dough into a disk and wrap in a zip-lock bag or plastic wrap (Remember to leave space if using plastic wrap). Put in cabinet for 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg, stir. Add thin apple slices, lemon juice and walnuts(toast walnuts in oven for a while, also add a teaspoon of honey to them). Toss until apples are combined. Set aside.
- (Optional) bring large saucepan to medium heat and add sugars, cinnamon, and butter. Stir in apples. Sautee until moist but not entirely soft. To long and they wiil detererate in the oven. Keep the left over juice and keep warm.
- On a lightly floured surface, parchment paper works great, roll out dough until the dough is 1/2 cm thick. Cut 1/3 of dough off and put aside. With the other 2/3, spread the dough on the bottom of the tart pan and cut off the extra. Transfer apple mixture to pan. Make sure the apples are spread evenly. With the remaining 1/4 of dough, make the top layer and trim off extra (I usually make the lattice top, the spoke wheel disgn with a flowers or leaves, just for decoration). Cut several slits in the top crust before baking, allowing steam to escape. Brush top in with milk and sugar mixture, 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- To prevent outer crust from burning, cover with foil. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown. Make sure the filling is bubbling. Set on rack. Spread extra sautee juice on top of top crust for extra taste.
- Serve immediately.