2 -3 large
russet baking potatoes, peeled and sliced thin lengthwise
1 (2 ounce) cans
anchovy fillets, drained, reserving the oil and chopped
1 1/2 cups
salt and pepper
- In a large skillet cook the onions in 2 tbsp of the butter over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until they are golden.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a buttered 2 1/2- 3 quart shallow baking dish (13x9 works well), layer 1/3 of the potatoes, 1/2 of the onions, 1/2 of the chopped anchovies, salt and pepper to taste, 1/3 potatoes, 1/2 onions, 1/2 of the chopped anchovies, salt and pepper to taste, last third of potatoes.
- Drizzle the top of potatoes with the reserved oil from the anchovy can (about 2 tbsp.) and dot them with the remaining 1 tbsp of butter cut into bits.
- Bake the casserole on the middle rack for 10 minutes.
- Pour 3/4 cup of the cream over the potatoes and bake the casserole for 20 minutes more.
- Pour the remaining cream over the casserole, reduce heat to 300, and bake for 30 minutes more or until the potatoes are tender.
- Great served with anything that goes well with a potato side dish.