potatoes, peeled and diced into small chunks
carrots, peeled and sliced
bacon, cut into bits
- Heat a small skillet over high heat.
- Add the bacon and sauté for 5 minutes until the bacon bits are well colored.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add potatoes and carrots.
- Cook for 20 to 25 minutes until the potatoes and carrots are well done or even slightly overdone (they will be easier to mash).
- Drain the vegetables and place them in a salad bowl.
- Mash the vegetables with a fork, a potato masher or any other manual ustensil. It is important not to use an electric mixer so that the texture remains chunky enough.
- Add the bacon bits and let the diced pieces of butter melt on top of the mashed vegetables.
- Add cream and nutmeg.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss well and serve.