garlic cloves, minced
fresh basil, minced
1 1/2 ounces
balsamic vinegar, divided
extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
3 1/2 lbs
yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 2-inch chunks
dry white wine
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mince onion, garlic, herbs, and pancetta together. Add 2 tsp balsamic vinegar, and oil.
- Quarter the chicken. Flatten as much as possible. Stuff most of the herb mixture under the skin. Toss potatoes with remaining herb mixture.
- Place the bird skin side up in large flat roasting pan. Scatter potatoes around it. Sprinkle everything with salt and pepper.
- Roast 20 minutes, then pour in 1/2 cup wine. Roast another 70 minutes or so, until the thigh reaches about 175°F on an instant-read thermometer. Baste the potatoes and chicken frequently with the pan juices. Add more wine if the pan becomes dry.
- If after an hour of roasting, the chicken isn't browning, raise the oven temp to 500°F for a few minutes to crisp the skin.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes at room temperature Present on a warmed platter with the potatoes, sprinkling everything with the remaining balsamic vinegar.