BEER BATTER FOR FISH
( fresh chopped or powder)
red cayenne pepper, according to preference
FILLING and MISC
1 3/4 lbs
cod fish fillets
lemon juice, freshly squeezed
green cabbage head, finely shredded
limes, ripe, cut into squeezable wedges
( approx. measurement. Add more if needed)
- Mix together the white sauce and set aside.
- Wash cod fillets by dipping in cold water and lemon juice. Drain on paper towels and pat dry (note: must be dry before dipping into beer batter).
- Mix together beer batter ingredients.
- Put canola oil in deep skillet (teflon coated preferred) and get oil really hot (approx 375 degrees).
- Dip both sides of cod fillets into beer batter and place in the skillet in a single layer (pieces shouldn't touch each other). Cook fish until batter is crispy and golden brown.
- Take out and place on paper towels and blot off the excess oil. Cut fillets into smaller pieces to fit in tortilla. I use scissors - it's easier.
- Heat corn tortillas lightly in a heavy skillet until soft and hot. Or if preferred, deep fry in hot oil in skillet (20 seconds each side).
- On each tortilla, layer fish fillet, add white sauce, squeeze a lime wedge across the top, add your favorite salsa, and top with shredded cabbage.