salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
( or other broth)
( up to 2 teaspoons)
- Trim excess fat from the lamb shanks and season with salt and pepper. (I admit I like fat on my meat, and the lamb isn't that fatty, so I didn't trim my shanks).
- Heat the oil in the PC. Add the shanks and brown on all sides. (You can do this in a separate pan if you like).
- When the shanks are almost completely browned, add the garlic cloves and cook until they are lightly browned but not burned.
- Add the stock, port, tomato paste, and rosemary, stirring so the tomato paste dissolves.
- Close the PC and bring up to full pressure (15 pounds).
- Reduce heat to stabilize pressure and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove PC from heat and let pressure release naturally.
- Remove the lamb shanks.
- Return pan to heat and boil the liquid, uncovered, for 5 minutes to reduce and thicken the sauce.
- Whisk in the butter, then add the vinegar.
- Serve the sauce over the lamb.