onion, diced fine
green bell pepper, diced fine
salt and pepper
cheddar cheese, grated
bacon, fried crisp, crumbled
6 -8 slices
- Choose 12 firm, not over ripe, tomatoes and cut tops off and scoop out centers. Dice tomato pulp once scooped out.
- Either make your own bread crumbs from the bread listed in ingredient list, or just use commercial bread crumbs, enough to thicken the veggie-cheese-bacon-tomato pulp mixture.
- Combine diced onion, bell pepper, celery, grated cheese and fried diced bacon to the roughly diced tomato pulp and bread crumbs.
- Season with salt and pepper (to taste).
- Spoon the resulting tomato stuffing mixture
- back into tomato shells.
- Put into oven and bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour,or until tomatoes are well baked and top is golden.