( etrog or esrog)
- NOTE 1: Cheapest vodka works OK, but the mid-level vodka gives a much smoother finished product. High-end vodka is not significantly better in the end than mid-price vodka.
- NOTE 2: If you cannot find the extra-fine sugar, take regular sugar and process in your blender to make extra-fine. The only reason is because it dissolves better.
- Peel 3 etrogim - avoid the bitter white "pith".
- Put the peel in a 1-quart bottle with 2 cups vodka and close up for a week or longer. (I do not know if you get more flavor soaking the peel longer, please e-mail me if you try it and find out.).
- Discard the peels.
- Add 1 1/2 cups extra-fine (bakers) sugar and shake or stir vigorously until dissolved.
- Add 1 more cup vodka. Shake until clear.
- Close jar and store in a cool, dark place at least 6 weeks. Aging it longer makes for a smoother, more agreeable l'chaim.