New Mexico Green Sauce
poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
( about 1/2 cup)
onion, finely chopped
( about 1 cup)
jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
garlic clove, finely chopped
heavy whipping cream
10 (6 inch)
flour tortillas, cut into 1/2 inch strips
shredded cooked turkey can use chicken
( about 1 pound boneless)
shredded mozzarella cheese
( 8 ounces)
- Prepare New Mexico Green Sauce; Set oven control to broil. Arrange poblano chilies on broiler rack with tops about 5 inches from heat. Broil 12 to 17 minutes, turning occasionally, until skin is blistered and evenly browned (not burned). Remove chilies to plastic bag; close tightly. Let stand 20 minutes. Peel, seed and finely chop chilies.
- Cook onion, poblano and jalapeno chilies and garlic in 2 tbls oil over medium heat about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender. Stir in whipping cream and salt. Set aside.
- Heat 1/2 cup oil in 10-inch skillet until hot. Cook tortilla strips in hot oil 30 to 60 seconds or until light golden brown; drain.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2-quart casserole.
- Layer half of the tortilla strips in bottom of casserole. Top with turkey, half of the New Mexico Green Sauce (about 2/3 cups) and 1 cup of the cheese.
- Press layers gently down into casserole.
- Repeat with remaining tortilla strips, sauce and cheese.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown.