chopped dried fig
red chilies, finely chopped
fresh ginger, grated
( not castor)
apple cider vinegar
- Slice mangoes along either side of the stone then cut the flesh in a criss-cross pattern. Fold out and remove flesh cubes.Discarding the skin and stone of each mango. (or just cube the mangoes!).
- Combine mango flesh and all remaining ingredients in a heavy-base saucepan.
- Place over a low heat and cook gently, stirring constantly until the sugar has dissolved. Allow the mixture to come to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 1/2 hours or to 2 hours (or until the chutney thickens.).
- Wash the jars in hot soapy water, rinse very well and place the jars in a warm oven until completely dry. Remove the jars with gloves (they will be hot) and immediately spoon chutney into the sterilised jars.
- When chutney is cold seal jars with lids.