fresh ground pepper
( Mexican if available)
pork shoulder blade roast
- Toast Corriander seeds for 3 minutes in an iron skillet over medium heat.
- Grind the seeds in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle.
- Add the rest of the spices and sugar and blend.
- Rinse the roast.
- cover lightly with mustard.
- sprinkle and rub the dry rub onto all sides.
- Use about 1/3 cup of pecan pellets or chips and encase in heavy duty aluminum foil. punch one small hole in the packet and toss onto the coals. If using chunks of pecan, add 4 pieces (3x3x3 inches) to the coals at the start of the cook.
- Cook at 250F to 300F indirectly over charcoal.
- When internal temperature reaches 170F, Wrap in two layers of heavy duty foil and return to the smoker.
- Remove the roast when internal temperature is 190F to 200F and drain the juices carefully into a container.
- Refrigerate the juices to remove fat.
- Rewrap the roast and let it rest for at least 30 minutes.
- After it cools a bit, use 2 forks or your hands to pull the pork into medium sized pieces. Discard fat as you come to it.
- Defat the juices and either add to the pulled pork or use in a sauce recipe.
- Use your favorite sauce and place or buns or serve directly with BBQ sides.