butter, at room temperature
apples, peeled and thinly sliced, 3-4 large apples
1/2 cup almonds, sliced, slivered (optional) or 1/2 cup
2 (250 g) packages
cream cheese, at room temperature
( regular or light)
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Beat butter with sugar and vanilla, then use a fork to stir in flour till crumbly.
- Pat evenly in bottom of 9" springform pan.
- Mix apples with sugar and cinnamon, toss well, and set aside.
- Beat cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and egg with a wooden spoon until smooth. Pour filling into crust and cover with apples.
- Sprinkle with nuts if using.
- Apples can be arranged in a pattern or just spread evenly to cover filling.
- Place on center rack of preheated oven, immediately reduce heat to 400F and bake until apples are just tender - about 35 minutes. If nuts brown before apples are cooked, cover loosely with foil.
- Cool on rack, serve right away or cover and refrigerate for up to one day.