1 1/2 cups
1/4 cup orange marmalade or 1/4 cup
2 -3 teaspoons
finely grated orange rind
icing sugar, sifted
1 -2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice or 1 -2 teaspoon
- Preheat the oven to moderate (180C). Brush a deep, 20cm round cake tin with melted butter or oil. Line the base and side with baking paper.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl and add the almonds and poppy seeds. Make a well in the centre.
- Place the butter, sugar, jam, rind and juice in a pan. Stir over low heat until the butter has melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Gradually add the butter mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring with a whisk until smooth.
- Add the eggs and whisk until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the centre of the cake. Set aside for at least 15 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make icing:.
- Beat the butter and cream cheese with electric beaters until smooth.
- Add the icing sugar and juice or essence gradually and beat until thick and creamy. Spread the icing over the cooled cake and decorate with strips of orange rind.