1 1/2 cups
egg whites, at room temperature
unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract or 1 tablespoon
- In a large bowl, combine the egg whites and the sugar and whisk until well blended; (yes, your arm will get tired).
- Set the bowl on top of a double boiler, or transfer mixture to the top pan of a double boiler and whisk constantly until the mixture is hot to the touch.
- Transfer to your mixer's bowl and beat on High with the whisk attachment until the bowl has cooled to the touch and the meringue forms stiff peaks.
- While beating on medium speed,slowly add the room temperature butter about 1/4 cup at a time.
- When all the butter has been added, it should be thick and creamy.
- Add the vanilla and blend until combined.
- This can be stored at room temperature for up to a day, refrigerated up to a week, and frozen up to a month.