1 3/4 cups
unsalted butter, 3/4 stick, cold and cut into 12 pieces
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Whisk the flours, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Drop in butter and using your fingers, toss to coat the pieces with flour and cut and rub the butter into the flour mixture until it is pebbly with different sized pieces from very small to pea-size.
- Pour the buttermilk over the dry ingredients and toss gently with a fork and turn the ingredients until you have a nice soft dough.
- In the bowl, give the dough 3- 4 kneads to bring the dough together.
- Lightly dust a work surface with flour and turn out the dough.
- Dust the top of the dough very lightly with flour and quickly pat the dough with your hands until it is about 1/2-inch high.
- Use a biscuit cutter to cut as many biscuits as you can.
- Re-roll remaining dough and cut more biscuits until dough is used up.
- Place biscuits on baking sheet.
- Bake the biscuits for 14- 18 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.