mixed red and candy-striped baby beets, stems trimmed to 1-inch
fresh lemon juice
fresh orange juice
freshly grated orange zest
extra virgin olive oil
butterhead lettuce, leaves separated
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse beets. Wrap colors separately in foil and roast in middle of oven until tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Cool.
- Peel beets and halve lengthwise.
- Whisk together shallot, juices, zest, and mustard. Whisk in oil until emulsified and season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle lettuce with 3/4 of dressing. Sprinkle with beets and drizzle with remaining dressing.