( like Martha White)
( or other oil)
1 cup milk or 1 cup
( if buttermilk is used)
self-rising flour, for surface
- Heat oven to 450°F.
- In large bowl, add flour and make a well in the center for mixing.
- Add oil to the well.
- Stir the well as you add buttermilk mixing in more and more flour until all the flour is involved and the dough is sticky, gummy and on the verge of being "too wet". You may need less that 1 cup for this.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and with flour on your hands make into a very soft dough, sprinkling a little extra self-rising flour over it all as needed until no longer sticky.
- Try not to work the dough at all or anymore than necessary for it to be consistent throughout.
- Pat out dough to 1/2-inch thickness.
- Cut with floured 2 1/2-inch round cutter. Place on cookie sheet or greased cast iron skillet.
- Bake at 450°F for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Serve warm.