cream of tartar
butter, room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons
- Soak cherries in water for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside. In a large mixing bow, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cream of tartar.
- With a pastry blender, cut in the margarine, Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine egg yolk, sour cream, cream and extract.
- Add to flour mixture; stir until a soft dough forms.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently six to eight times, knead in cherries.
- Divide dough in half and roll out each to 1/2 an inch thick and cut into each into 8 wedges.
- Place on lightly greased baking sheet.
- Beat the egg white until foamy; brush tops of scones and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes.