small white potatoes
( skins on)
whole grain mustard
1/2 cup chopped fresh dill (if using dill, taste your salad for correct seasoning) or 1/2 cup
( if using dill, taste your salad for correct seasoning)
fresh ground black pepper
chopped red onion
crushed red pepper flakes
- Place potatoes and 2 tablespoons of salt in large pot of water. Bring the water to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer 10-15 minutes, until the potatoes are barely tender when pierced with a knife *.(See recipe update introduction.).
- Drain the potatoes (skins on) in a colander, then place the colander with the potatoes over the empty pot and cover with a clean, dry kitchen towel.
- Allow the potatoes to steam for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, buttermilk, Dijon mustard, whole grain mustard, dill or parsley, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of black pepper, and a pinch of crushed red pepper, if using.
- Set aside.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut them in quarters or in half, depending on their size.
- Place the cut potatoes in a large bowl. While the potatoes are still warm, pour enough dressing over them to moisten.
- Add the celery and red onion, 2 teaspoons of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Toss well, cover, and refrigerate a few hours to allow the flavors to blend **.(See recipe update - introduction).
- Serve either cold or at room temperature.